This was written for my Close to Home column in The Prospect-News, the local weekly paper in Doniphan, MO.
Top 10 Reasons I Loved Going Back to School
(from my 10 year-old self)
10. Mother needed a break.
9. Younger siblings getting exasperating.
8. No more interesting books at the library.
7. Curious to see who had changed most.
6. Curious to see who had changed least.
5. Curious about new teachers.
4. Eager to share summer adventures.
3. New books on teachers’ shelves.
2. Missed my friends.
1. I had new shoes and underwear.
Interesting to realize there was little variation in the list from age 10 to retirement. Slight substitutions in #’s 10 and 9 and the list fit each year. The exodus from the classroom at start of summer and return to it in the fall were the most predictable factors of my existence for practically my whole life!
I preach the merits of change, but one must acknowledge the value of routine, too.
I have new shoes and underwear.